Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler announced Thursday that he is putting other commissioners in charge of numerous city bureaus he previously oversaw so he can focus on the city’s coronavirus response and police reform efforts.
Gone from the mayor’s oversight are Portland Parks and Recreation, the Bureau of Environmental Services, the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability, Office for Community Technology, Bureau of Environmental Services, Portland’s portion of the Joint Office of Homeless Services and several other agencies.
Wheeler will remain in charge of the Police Bureau, Housing Bureau, Office of Management & Finance, City Budget Office, City Attorney’s Office and Office of Government Relations.
Some of the new assignments include Commissioner Amanda Fritz overseeing Parks and Recreation and the environmental services bureau, Commissioner Chloe Eudaly in charge of the community technology office, Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty running the planning and sustainability bureau and Commissioner Dan Ryan, who was sworn in earlier Thursday, in charge of the Joint Office of Homeless Services and development services bureau.
In a letter to other members of the City Council, Wheeler said the changes will remain in effect until January, when Fritz’s term ends and Commissioner-elect Carmen Rubio’s begins.
Wheeler and Eudaly also face election challenges in November from Sarah Iannarone and Mingus Mapps, respectively. The terms of both winners would also begin in January. The election is Nov. 3.
“The changes I’m making today allow me and my administration to focus on the most pressing issues facing our city,” Wheeler said to his colleagues. “And I am appreciative of the fact that you all stand ready to take on more so that we can work in partnership to address the many challenges facing the city.”
Here’s a more complete list of the city bureau assignments:
Mayor Ted Wheeler
• Office of Management & Finance
• Portland Police Bureau
• City Budget Office
• City Attorney
• Office of Government Relations
• Portland Housing Bureau
• Prosper Portland
• A Home for Everyone with Commissioner Dan Ryan
Commissioner Amanda Fritz
• Portland Parks & Recreation
• Bureau of Environmental Services
• Portland Water Bureau
• Office of Equity & Human Rights
Commissioner Chloe Eudaly
• Office of Community & Civic Life
• Portland Bureau of Transportation
• Office for Community Technology
• Regional Arts and Culture Council
Commissioner Dan Ryan
• Joint Office of Homeless Services
• Bureau of Development Services
• Portland Children’s Levy
• A Home for Everyone with Mayor Ted Wheeler
Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty
• Portland Fire & Rescue
• Bureau of Emergency Communications
• Portland Bureau of Emergency Management
• Fire & Police Disability & Retirement
• Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
— Everton Bailey Jr.